Is having a safe and happy home on your wish list? Read these simple tips to help you keep your home in great shape throughout all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.
Maybe instead of home for the holidays, you decide to treat the family to a Holiday vacation. Did you know that in the U.S., 2 million burglaries are reported every year, resulting in $4.7 billion in property loss? That’s one home burglary every 13 seconds!
Don’t let burglars intimidate you from taking a long awaited trip.
Before hitting the holiday road, make sure to implement these safety tips so that you will return to your home the way you left it:
- Keep a light on in your home with a timer, as well as exterior lighting
- Keep your car locked even in the garage
- Double-check that all doors and windows are locked
- Store valuables in a safe place
- Use a heavy-duty deadbolt on your front door
Use some caution as you deck the halls.
- Well over 100,000 hospital visits each year are a result of a ladder accident, so try to recruit a spotter and keep three body parts in contact with the ladder at all times.
- If you use lights to brighten your holiday spirit, make sure to inspect for frayed wires, damaged sockets, and gaps in the insulation before plugging in – and don’t forget to turn them off before you leave for festivities outside of the home! The same reminder goes for holiday candles.
- Double check that decorations are child and pet friendly.
It’s likely that your holiday baking will put your kitchen in to overdrive. Check out these quick tips to keep you and your home safe while you prepare some good eats:
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy
- Flour and baking soda can help put out grease flames – NOT water!
- Try to keep things tidy, and clean out grease as much as possible
We wish you all a safe, wonderful holiday season! If becoming a homeowner is a New Year’s goal, please feel free to contact us with any questions…we’d be happy to assist!
Sources: https://brightnest.com/posts/holiday-home-safety-tips, http://blog.coldwellbanker.com/burglary-prevention-101/